Spring-2014-Bookmark-one-panel-1

 

 

 

Holy-Week-Easter-2014-poster

 

 

 

Egg-Hunt-2014

 

 

 

Garden-Party-sidebar

 

 

 

     Stay Connected

 Like us on Facebook  Follow us on Twitter Find us on Pinterest  Find us on Yelp

        Join our email list.

Former Rector, the Rev. Peter W. Sipple presented two sermons detailing the stained glass windows of the Church. Handouts were provided to congregants. The written descriptions from those semons form the basis for this page.

Two Music Angels window

Two-Music-Angels

 

Robed in white with silver embroidery and surrounded by beautiful red wings, two angels play heavenly music—the left one on a miniature organ, and the right on a tambourine-like instrument known as a timbrel. As George Patrick points out in his Photographic Tour of the Church: "Both musical instruments shown in these windows are referred to in verse four of the 150th Psalm: Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; praise Him with stringed instruments and organs." The inscription on the left reads: All the earth shall worship thee, and on the right: They shall sing to thy name. These windows are dedicated to George and Esther Philler and William and Isabella Ruckman.

"Inasmuch..." and Christ with Mary window

Inasmuch-&-Christ-with-Mary

 

In the left window Jesus is welcomed as a stranger. A richly-dressed man stands in the doorway, arms extended to welcome the weary Traveler into his home. The figure of Christ holds a walking staff in his left hand. In the background we see foliage, a tree and a distant city. Beneath the pane reads the inscription, "I was a stranger and ye took me in." This window bears a dedication to William Miles, August 12, 1885. The right window shows Mary of Bethany, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, who sat at Jesus’ feet when Our Lord visited their village (Luke 10:38). Christ is seated on a dais, with Mary on a stool below him. In the background we see a multi-colored, half-opened curtain, with leaves, round arches, and a distant city behind. The inscription here reads: "All things work together for good to them that love God." In the bottom pane we see "Mary B. Miles, September 12, 1879 and Meta H. Miles, October 18, 1863."

Jesus and Mary at the Tomb and The Calling of Matthew window

Jesus-at-Tomb-&-Matthew

 

The left window portrays Jesus appearing to Mary Magdalene after the Resurrection. The garden near the Tomb burgeons with flowers. Christ stands at right with his left arm extended and hand upraised as in a blessing. Mary Magdalene, with long golden hair and in a blue robe, kneels on the left. The inscription reads: "Jesus said unto her, ‘Mary.’ She turned herself and said unto him, ‘Rabboni’" (John 20:16). The window is dedicated to J. Hunter Ewing, Dec. 30th 1922//Hannah Whelen Ewing, July 30th, 1883. The right window shows Matthew at his office desk in Capernaum, with quill pen in hand, called by Jesus to be a Disciple. As Jesus approaches Matthew, he is accompanied by Simon and Andrew, James and John, fresh from their boats, the sails of which show in the background. Matthew, the publican or tax-collector, describes the summoning of the fishermen in the Gospel attributed to him (Mt. 4: 18-22). In the lower window we read: "He said unto him follow me and he left all rose up and followed Him." In loving memory of Maskell C. Ewing, November 20th, 1849 and Cornelia L. Ewing, Jan. 31, 1906.

 

The Great Commission window

The-Great-Commmisson

 

 

 

Taken as a whole, this three-piece window portrays eleven male figures along with Christ in the center. This is the scene of the Great Commission when, after the Resurrection, Jesus sent the Apostles (less Judas Iscariot) into the world to teach and baptize (Mt. 28: 16-20). Palm trees clearly indicate the climate of the Holy Land. One figure in the center kneels with hands clasped over his head and his face to the ground. The window is dedicated to the Glory of God and to members of the Curwen family: George Fisher and Emily Moore Curwen, and Christine Curwen Packard.

The Ascension window

The-Ascension

 

 

 

The panel on the right in the window displays the Ascension of Christ into Heaven, the event we Christians celebrate on May 17, described in Luke 24:49-53. In this scene, Mary and five others look heavenward as Christ ascends out of their sight. A pair of kneeling angels holds the memorial inscription: "To the glory of God & in loving memory of William P. Ellison 2nd, 1886-1907." This window along with its mate on the left depicting the Annunciation form a kind of Alpha and Omega of the Christian Gospel.

Education of the Virgin window

Education-of-the-Virgin 

 

 

 

The young Virgin Mary stands in a garden of flowers with a jug in her hand. She is looking upward toward an older woman, her mother St. Anne, who is holding a book. Four cherubim look on from above. This window is a memorial to Katherine Kelso Johnston (1871-1905), the wife of James Pemberton Hutchinson, and eldest daughter of Alexander Johnston and Lois B. Cassatt. Miss Johnston was the niece of the painter Mary Cassatt. The window was created by the Tiffany Studios of New York and installed in 1906.

The Annunciation window

The-Annunciation

 

 

 

The Virgin Mary kneels at a prayer desk as the Angel Gabriel, robed in red and holding a scepter, stands on a cloud above. The dove of the Holy Spirit hovers above Mary’s head. The inscription reads: "Behold the Handmaid of the Lord" To the Glory of God and in blessed memory of Sarah, only child of Frederick Taylor and Gertrude Grier Gause. The window dates from 1886 and was made by the British firm of Heaton, Butler, and Bayne.

Adoration of the Magi window

Adoration-of-the-Magi

 

A seated Mary holds the Christ child, as one of the Magi kneels before them presenting a gold box. A crown is on the floor and a burning lamp sits on the shelf. An evening cityscape can be seen through a window, and a star shines in the sky. Right: two Magi enter a house with Joseph (?) behind. On the ventilator, two angels hold a scroll with the memorial inscription: "They brought him gifts, gold, frankincense, and myrrh; to the greater glory of God and in loving memory of William P. Henszey, Sept. 24, 1832-March 23, 1909. From the studio of Heaton, Butler, and Bayne.

Presentation of the Christ Child window

Presentation-of-the-Christ-

 

 

Simeon holding the Christ child, and Anna standing behind. Brocaded curtains and foliage seen through arches. Inscription: "To the Glory of God and in Loving Memory of Henry Whelen 1899." Completed in 1900 by the Mayer and Co., Munich, NY.

 

 

Christ teaching in the Temple window

Christ-teaching-in-the-Temp

 

The boy Jesus, enthroned at center and surrounded by eight figures. Mary and Joseph stand to either side in separate lights. An architectural screen and foliage are above the figures. The inscription, at bottom within a small architectural screen, reads "To the glory of God and in sacred memory of Charlette Collins Rawle, born March 10, 1849, died September 27, 1909. Produced by an English firm about 1910.

 

 

 

Baptism of our Lord window

Baptism-of-our-Lord

 

 

 

Christ, wearing red robe, stands in water. John, holding tall cross with red banner, baptizes him with shell. Two small angels stand behind, with the dove of the Holy Spirit overhead. Inscription: "To the glory of God and in memory of Francis William Rawle, 22nd September 1873-12th June, 1911." Produced by C.E. Kempe studio, 1912.

 

Church of the Redeemer - 230 Pennswood Road - Bryn Mawr, PA 19010